18 ‘Must Haves’ in your Backpack.
Nursing is one of the most stressful jobs on the planet, and once in a while, even the most dedicated of nurses have to take a holiday to stop them from burning out. What better way to take a break than to throw a few things into a backpack and have a week or so lazing somewhere at a beach or going hiking?
To save you from getting more stressed, trying to pack your backpack, we have come up with a list of essentials that you should definitely include…
1. Pack a first aid kit, because you never know what can happen. Your kit should include plasters and some antiseptic cream for cuts and grazes, antihistamines (in case you get stung by a jellyfish) and painkillers (for hangovers).
2. Stick a small sewing kit in with it, as they do come in handy. Keeping it all in a small plastic container will make them easier to find in your backpack.
3. Apart from toothpaste, a toothbrush, and deodorant, you should take some shampoo or liquid soap. You won’t need both; they are quite easily interchangeable. Keep them in a plastic bag or container, just in case they leak.
4. Bug spray is also a good thing to have, and you will definitely need sun-block. Depending on where you are staying, face wipes may come in handy, too.
5. For the beach, you will need a beach towel, swimsuit, sunglasses, and a wide-brimmed hat to keep you safe from sunburn.
6. Jeans are great for most occasions and a pair of light combat trousers might be od use, if you decide to go on a hike for a day or so.
7. Some lightweight linen trousers will keep insects at bay without getting too hot. Sarongs are light, cool, and versatile, so they are a must.
8. You will also need T-shirts, a linen shirt or two, something smart to go out for the evening with, and, of course, enough underwear for however long you are going.
9. A cardigan and/or a jumper for cool evenings and a raincoat, just in case, should also make their way into your backpack.
10. Shoes are a must. You will want a pair of thongs, some trainers, or walking shoes, depending on your plans, as well as a pair of dressy shoes for going out.
11. Books are a good thing to have with you, too. You will want something to read, either on the beach or maybe in the evenings. If you’re hiking, include some guide books, too.
12. A notebook and pen are handy for getting peoples’ e-mail addresses or phone numbers.You should also keep a diary of your experiences; it’ll be great for reminiscing later!
13. Bring a mobile phone and charger .Make sure you have a mobile phone on you, especially if you intend to go hiking , because they’re great in emergencies. Charge it whenever you get the opportunity.
14. A Camera and a spare battery are musts. A spare battery for your digital camera can save your day! Do not forget an extra memory card.
15. You might also want to bring an MP3 player and a torch The MP3 player will keep you from talking to yourself and a torch may come in handy wherever you are.
16. Playing cards always come handy when you want to kill some time.
17. Get a padlock for your backpack, too. You will also need a plastic wallet for your papers, like your ID, emergency phone numbers, etc. Take a spare credit card, just in case one gets lost or eaten.
18. Do take a smaller bag , as it will save having to carry the whole backpack everywhere.
Do you have a set of rules when packing for your favourite holiday destination? We would love to hear about it!!